||1912 Chandler Egan
2012 Gil Hanse
||Waverley Country Club’s
Centennial Golf Course Restoration
In 1898, two years after the founding of Waverley Country Club, members of the club sought a more majestic spot for their current golf course; Waverley’s 18-hole Riverside Links. Jack Moffat, Waverley’s first golf professional, assisted members in routing the new course. Between May 1912 and 1924 H. Chandler Egan assisted members in establishing the current course routing, completed comprehensive bunkering and constructed numerous green complexes. Until his death in 1936, Chandler Egan continued to guide Waverley’s hand on all golf course improvements. Over the past century many of Egan’s classical design elements had disappeared. Gilbert S. Hanse was critical in recognizing the masterpiece of classic golf design Egan had imprinted upon Waverley. Today Egan’s vision can be seen in the expert restoration of numerous classic architectural elements at Waverley Country Club.
Gil Hanse, Golf Course Architect
“Waverley’s H. Chandler Egan was a big fan of the work of Charles Blair Macdonald focusing on the Scottish model of grass face bunkering, depth, scale and character not necessarily always as aesthetically beautiful as Alister MacKenzie or George Thomas but yet effective and certainly classical and traditional in and of itself.
Also noticeable in Egan’s style was short grass. The merging of fairways with adjacent areas with greens and tees gave his courses that classic and distinct feel which make shot making more fun and interesting. Egan moved us beyond just hacking a shot out of the rough, by creating play off tightly maintained turf around these elements requiring a lot more imagination, a lot more skill and a lot more thought. Yet, one can still pull the putter out and try to putt it up there. This is the spirit that Egan worked to create.”